Recommendation:



I really enjoyed this book. Jhumpa Lahiri is an amazing writer and even though I've never experienced any of the situations her characters are in, I feel for them. I feel for all her characters. I loved her short stories, Unaccustomed Earth and Interpreter of Maladies, and this novel did not disappoint. Well, it did, only in the fact that it didn't end as I thought it should. (Which means it didn't end like a chick flick).

As I read the last chapter, a few tears fell for the main character.

"They were things for which it was impossible to prepare but which one spent a lifetime looking back at, trying to accept, interpret, comprehend. Things that should never have happened, that seemed out of place and wrong, these were what prevailed, what endured, in the end."

I am not at all like her main character except I am a human, and she encompasses humanity in her writing so well; I have never read stories like hers. If that makes sense. I just feel for her characters, and I can't explain it more than that! I feel human, and I feel real life...in a life I've never had. oi.

Bottom line : read it. And her other books. They are amazing! Also, here is a NYtimes review.

Also, in my google search revealed to me there is a movie. I must see it. Katie, Jody...another Indian night, perhaps?

3 comments:

Jody said...

YES! to indian night!

kylie said...

oooh, maybe i will add that to my summer reading list.

Katya said...

yes please!! k, i'm so glad that you appreciate jhumpa lahiri's way of making even every day life so beautiful and so touching. she is amazing! i'm glad you enjoyed the book!