Jamie Oliver: food revolution

Alright, this is the coolest thing I've seen regarding public health in a while. Jamie Oliver is a chef from England who did wonders with their school lunch program. He has come to Huntington, West Virginia, the unhealthiest city in America. He is trying to start a food revolution to change their social attitutes and structures towards food and being healthy.

This is amazing because it is a grassroots movement to change behavior AND the environment. I understand, and you will see, that no one likes being told what to do, even if it's a cool English dude. Here's the thing: you can legislate until you're blue in the face, but if people do not BELIEVE in health or WANT a better life or UNDERSTAND why health is important or HAVE ACCESS to the tools they need to change behavior. One thing I liked about this revolution is in the beginning, he doesn't start with behavior, he starts with changing the kid's environment through the cooks. (apparently lunch lady is offensive).

this is why I go to school and what I believe in. change must come from individuals and branch out to change and influence society, not the other way around.

Anyway, there you go. It's a 43 minutes episode but please at least watch the first few minutes. It's so interesting and maybe I'm just a nerd but it's so cool!


1 comment:

Josh said...

Wow... yep, I watched like 10 mins and I felt like I went right back to my childhood. I LOVED the part where he called Alice a "lunch lady." Haha! Classic!