book list

This summer I read more books than I have in a long time.  More non-fiction than I have read in my entire life.  I wonder if it's because I'm not in school reading textbooks, and I still want to be learning.  My favorite thing to do at the library is browse the stand they have of new non-fiction and pick out a few and try them out. Here's a quick list of the books I finished this summer:

1. Better - Atul Gawande (I love his writing and stories.  I loved it as much as Complications)

2. Complications - Atul Gawande (see here for my review))

3. William and Harry: Behind the Palace Walls - Katie Nicholl (eh, what can I say?  It caught my eye and it was interesting.  Modern history, you know.)

4. Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell (I've wanted to read this for a long time.  I thought it was so interesting!)

5. The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell (Same here.  It was great as well.)

6. Paradox of Choice - Barry Schwartz (see here for my review)

7. If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) - Betty White (A great and easy read.  I think it took me an hour, maybe.  Just a fun, light read.)

8. In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan (I loved this book.  I really agree with his line of thinking.)

9. Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (These were fun to read.  Robert Downey Jr. is a perfect Holmes, as is Jude Law the perfect Watson.)

10.  What Happened To Good-bye? - Sarah Dessen (another "eh, what can I say?"  I love her books. She always writes things that resonate with me.)

11. The Pioneer Woman: From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels - Ree Drummond  (A great read.  I think she writes really well and it is a fun story.)

I'm working on a few more books (still waiting for Tina Fey's!).

Oh yeah, I also had a sewing list for the summer.  Here is what I sewed from the list this summer:

1.  nothing

I did sew a few onesies and bibs for gifts, but they don't count.  I just haven't felt like sewing anything.  Oh, I guess I did sew this tote bag, but it's nothing too spectacular!

Any good books I missed? 

 

4 comments:

Shanna Selin said...

I didn't realize that Ayul Gawande wrote another book! I'm going to put it on hold at the library right now. And Evan is reading Complications. He's an interesting author.

lindsay said...

haha i love the
1. nothing

!!

you need to read the help!!!! i know everyone is reading it but really, soooo good.

Laura C said...

I read more than I usually do this summer and it was so fun!

I, too, love Michael Pollan. I think he does a good job of not being too extreme, but still having an opinion. I just bought In Defense of Food and can't wait to read it.

Katya said...

I totally have a draft of a post just like this saved! I loved 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. I need to read PW's book! And yay for Sarah Dessen. The Truth About Forever is still probably my favorite young adult/romantic-ish books.