blerg.

I am contemplating pulling out my old pdbio text book and reading it.  I am hoping it will help make up for the brain cells I've lost watching netflix as much as I have this past year (the as much will remain a mystery).  I spend most of my time at home, so it's usually on as a background.  Sometimes, when I don't have any work, I just end up watching a lot of TV.  During the evenings, I hop on our borrowed exercise bike during an episode.  I feel good about doing that, at least.

Blerg.

Speaking of blerg, I finished Tina Fey's book Bossypants and it was great.  It was a funny book (she has some great stories) and I thought she had some good advice.  My favorite chapter was on being photographed for magazines: "don't ever feel inadequate when you look at magazines. Just remember that every person you see on a cover has a bra and underwear hanging out a gaping hole in the back.  Everyone. heidi klum, the olsen twims, david beckham, everybody."

"Do I worry about overly retouched photos giving women unrealistic expectations and body image issues?  I do.  I think that we will soon see a rise in anorexia in women over seventy. Because only people over seventy are fooled by Photoshop. ... People have learned how to spot it.  ... as long as we know it's fake, it's no more dangerous to society than a radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds.  ...  I find, the fancier the fashion magazine is, the worse the Photoshop."  She then goes on to say how the best Photoshoped cover she had was for a feminist magazine.  "..because they understand that it's okay to make a photo look as if you were caught on your best day in the best light."

Definitely a different take on Photoshop than my women's health class, but I like it.

Read it! (a bit o'language, if you care. After reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, however, I find I'm real good at skimming over words.)

So anyway, yesterday (when the majority of this post was written), I was not feeling too happy about things.  But dave took me out for a sweet pork salad (awww...) and life seemed to get better.  Reading funny books help.  As do $9.00 shoes.  Oh yeah, baby.  (nine dollars...I'm hard-pressed to resist shoes under 10 bucks)


There is also the great possibility I will get my new phone tomorrow:

But maybe not, because as the droid-loving sales associates at the at&t store will tell you, Apple does nothing but destroy hopes and dreams.




3 comments:

Katya said...

ahhh i want to read bossy pants! also, i'm very jealous of your soon to be yours iphone. and cute shoes!

Jody Lynn said...

I'm curious to know the difference between my iPhone and your brand new one...

alyssa sorenson. said...

loved it, all of it. jealous of your new phone but so happy for you! it is an excellent phone. the 4s will be spectacular. but i need to be happy with my 4.

never trust the sales associates at phone stores. they know nothing. ha ha.

cute shoes also! i want to read bossypants and dragon tattoo.