English Trifle

Our ward Christmas party was an around-the-world dessert theme.  Our families hail from England and Denmark, mostly.  Dave did serve a Spanish-speaking mission, but has not incorporated much Spanish cooking into our lives.  And since I got the sign up and always wanted to make a trifle...

I started with this perfect pound cake.  I can't believe how nicely it floated out of the pan.  One thing is I had to cook it a bit longer than it said (dumb oven/elevation?) and the outside was perfect.  I didn't realize until the next day that the inside was still a bit underdone.  (the toothpick came out clean, but it looked wet). So I cut them into cubes and tried to dry them out by basically making pound cake croutons. (but not too crunchy)
 

Yum! Costco has fresh raspeberries for pretty cheap and Dave really wanted to stay home so he could eat it all.  It did go pretty fast at the party (and sad to say, it does not look nearly as nice when it gets served...but that did not deter anyone.) It was easy to make and fun!  The reason I was worried about wet pound cake was it was going to be covered in raspberry jam. I knew the bread would get wet, but I didn't want it wet and underdone. 

I didn't try any of the final product, but I did make a taste test of extra cake, raspberries and cream.  Still good :) Not as perfect as Martha's, but what is?  They must have made a lot more whipped cream than the recipe called for.

 



It was fun to try my hand at some English Trifle and hopefully I made some ancestors proud.  It was probably not super legit, as there was no custard nor alcohol, but what can you do?

p.s. I'm loving watching the voting results...last night it was tied.  I really want to know who voted for what (and why?)...so indulge me if you can!

3 comments:

Lyss said...

You are so domestic! You will be a great mommy!

I voted girl...even though I think you guys are probably having a boy. I don't know why I think that but I am excited for you no matter the gender of the baby!!

Emily said...

I un-tied it 7-6. We're having a boy, so I figure, why not you too? Maybe there's something in the water over there...

Katya said...

that looks sooo good. yummm.

i voted girl. i don't know why, maybe because a little girl would look really great in that striped onsie. ha. so exciting that you get to find out the gender soon!