recommendation: two books


the book thief. 

I think I am like a year behind in reading this, but it is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading it.

It is beautiful, heartbreaking and has the most unique writing style I've ever read. I cannot get over it.

And, as a disclaimer, it made me cry and cry. [I've gotten in trouble for not mentioning books I like are sad..(em)]  But that is part of the beauty of this book. However, I am easily moved by books in general. And I cry a lot more than usual these days.

The books I love the most are books that move me, and this is definitely one of those.


 hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet

We read this for book club this month and I really liked it. It was also a beautiful story and I liked the writing style. An interesting perspective on being Asian (but American) in the US during WWII. Really great characters.

Melancholy and bittersweet, but with good closure.



Both of these books I finished rather quickly because I couldn't wait to see what happened next. They are both from interesting perspectives (German Kids, Chinese/Japanese-American kids). Both books also made me so sad for all that people have had to suffer through and endure throughout the ages. I feel sad that people have to be hungry, cold, bombed, discriminated against, kicked out of their rightful homes, tortured, hated, etc.

I guess all we can do is try to make the world the best we can so things don't have to happen like that again?

Have you read either of these books? thoughts??

4 comments:

Jody Lynn said...

oh man i want to read the book theif! will have to wait until the end of april!

Laura C said...

I love The Book Thief! I picked it up a couple of years ago at Powell's in Portland and really enjoyed it. You're right, the writing style is very interesting, too.

I've looked at the Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet at least ten times in the BYU bookstore but haven't ever bought it. I'll have to read it now :) Thanks for the recommendation!

Emily said...

I definitely cried while reading The Book Thief. Such a great book and I really loved the writing style too. I'm currently trying to go through all the Chronicles of Narnia books and I'm only on the Magician's nephew (which should not be taking nearly as long as it is), but thanks to you, I've got some books to add to my reading list!

Suzy said...

I just barely got around to reading The Help! And I looooved it (sans language). Book Thief is on my list too.