PEOPLE OF CRAIGSLIST

a post in which I use a lot of caps lock to make my point more clear. yes, it's like I'm yelling at you.

We have a problem, people. I have found through my 2 weeks of thrice daily craigslist surfing (and less daily searching for a few weeks before) that NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO POST A DECENT AD.

So, I am going to help you with this.

If you are posting about an apartment, let me tell you what people want to see. They want to see at least two pictures of the kitchen, a full view of the living room, a full view of other rooms is nice, and even the bathroom is nice. Washer and dryer? Sure, post a picture.

A PICTURE OF THE CLOSET (closed, to boot) HELPS NO ONE. AND, and, 5 pictures of the outside DOES NOTHING. Sure, if I like the apartment enough to call/email about it, I'm hoping the outside is nice. BUT I DON'T LIVE OUTSIDE.

Rarely, if ever, will an outside of the house be so amazing that anyone will want to rent it, no questions asked.

Now obviously, I know that the process goes like this: craigslist (or website) --> appointment --> walk through. BUT PEOPLE, time is money, and people don't want to make a million appointments for places because no one had the brains to post some decent pictures of the place. If that is how you want people to see your apartment, then I am sorry. NO ONE WILL CALL YOU.

SO if your craigslist ad includes 10 pictures of the outside of the building/house and 14 of the trees outside, and 1 picture of the closet doors or 1 picture of the kitchen sink OR, heaven forbid, the only picture you have is of the outside, then, my friend, you have the worst ad in the history of forever. (and that was probably the worst sentence in the history of forever).

And this is from experience. I have seen so many useless apartment ads it's just ridiculous.

HUMANS LIKE VISUALS. Especially when it is of a place they are thinking about renting. If you describe any feature in your paragraph or list description (and for the love, please have a description! No one is going to look twice at an ad that says this: apartment for rent. great yard and has a bathroom) INCLUDE A PICTURE. If you think it is so awesome that it will make people want your apartment, you'd better believe they want to see it.

Hardwood floors? Let's see 'em. Walk in closet? Yep. New counters? Let's take a look. Fireplace? Yes, definitely, because some fire places are freaking ugly, and I'd like to know about it before I take the time to see it. Vaulted ceilings? You got it. Large windows? Let me be the judge.

I have never seen an ad and thought "they included way too many pictures". MORE IS BETTER. I always want more pictures because I want to feel like I know exactly what the place looks like before we go see it. Then I'm not super surprised and just wasted my time.

I am just blown away by how many people post such useless ads. And maybe I really am the only one who cares, but seriously, when in doubt, include another picture.

PS my brother in law bruce has a funny post about this as well here. This includes a lot of issues I didn't include here because I was mainly focusing on pictures, but yes, gosh, people need to work on their descriptions and grammar as well!

13 comments:

Shanna Selin said...

AMEN!!!! And include the address too. Obviously anyone looking at the ad wants to know where exactly they will be living. So include the address or the ad is useless.

Jody Lynn said...

i'm with you. the more pictures the better.

Kelsey said...

AMEN! I've started looking at houses (I really should stop for before I drive myself crazy, since we''re not buying yet) and maybe 1 out of 4 ads has good pictures. A picture that shows the bed and nothing else is not helpful. A picture of the toilet is not helpful. I'm glad that there is one, but I'd much rather see a picture of the closet, or basement, or just about anything else.
I'm glad I'm not alone in this!

kt said...

haha this reminds me of this post:

http://blog.brucec.net/2010/09/gripes-about-finding-housing.html

kt said...

Bruce agrees with you

http://blog.brucec.net/2010/09/gripes-about-finding-housing.html

Laura said...

Best... Post... Ever!

Holland Hettinger said...

Haha laughing so hard! Good luck to you. :)

Shannon said...

I wonder this too, and why don't people clean their house before they take pictures? seriously a kitchen full of dirty dishes everywhere, and bedrooms with clothes all over the bed and floor, and hair and makup stuff left all over the bathroom does not look appealing to anyone! people need to understand if they want someone to buy or rent their place they should make it look desireable!

lindsay said...

hahaha love it. i totally agree. i always filter my searches so that only posts with pictures are included, but it's too bad you can't filter by "pictures of..."

Katya said...

so true! gosh, i hate apartment hunting.

Bruce said...

I obviously agree. :)

Heidi said...

Oh this post made me laugh, you are funny!! Some people are slow! Good luck. I am so happy for you guys, but you will be missed!

Teri Bench said...

Great post!