map canvas

The next project we worked on was making a map canvas for a wall in our bedroom. We started out following this tutorial, but it didn't quite turn out that way. We looked all over for a map, and the last place (at least in Portland) that they sell large maps in Staples (it is 32 x 50). 

We also looked for canvases to stick them to (with modge podge), but couldn't find any to match the sizes of the map or sizes we wanted them to be, so we improvised. Dave built some rectangle wood frames, we cut the map in thirds and then...folded the edges around and used packing tap to secure it. Yeah...classy, right?


What do you think? It didn't fill up as much of the wall as I thought it would. Is it too small? I'm not sure what we could put on the sides. I'd want it to go with the map/world "theme" (which it's not really a theme). We don't want to move it since it's pretty mounted there. Or maybe it is just right? 

Feedback, go! 

9 comments:

Katya said...

I love it!!!! I think it looks great, especially with your wall color.

kt said...

First of all, it looks great! Just as it is!

If you feel the need to add something more to the wall, I think a few really small shelves with knick-knacks / souvenirs from places you've been (or places you love without having visited yet!) would be cool (e.g. mini eiffel tower or letters like NYC or PDX).

Something a la http://pinterest.com/superawesomekt/letter-art/

Jo said...

I love it! Really. I wouldn't put anything on the sides, I think it looks perf.

Shanna Selin said...

I like it! Looks really good. And I love that you guys made it with packing tape! Haha.

Taber & Rebecca said...

I don't know if I've commented on your blog before or not, but I like to jump over to your blog after I've checked out Eric & Cindy's! I'm Eric's twin sister, Rebecca. We've met a few times and Thanks for bringing those flowers by!

I LOVE map themes! I thought that maybe you could hang up post cards of where you've been or where you'd like to go along with actual pictures of you. I'm sure whatever you decide will be Spectacular bc from what I've seen you have GREAT style!

Jenna & Joey said...

Love it!

lindsay said...

soooo cool! love it!

Kara Lyn said...

I think it basically rocks and that you should come and decorate my house because my walls are nice and white. I miss you.

Kristen said...

Love it!