august.

Having a job again has been nice. It's nice to hang out in air conditioning, talk to grownups and feel busy. Although feeling busy means that since my parents left three weeks ago and I started working, there is a never-ending list of things I never do. Even though I'm only gone for a few hours, it adds up. Anyways, I have the next few days off so I am trying to do them all.

The last few weeks have been hot (everywhere, it sounds like) and it's put a damper on a lot of new cooking experiments. We've tried to avoid the oven at all costs (though the other day I did make these muffins and they were great). It seems every new recipe I want to try involves the oven or extensive use of the stove top. We have our favorite cold salads but don't actually have too many staples that are no-cook/bake. Any suggestions?

Another thing on my list since...May...has been a hair cut. I've really needed one over the last few months as my layers have grown out and the bob I had looked less and less like one and just weird. Ah well, good thing I was at home most of the time, so who cares! Yesterday we had some meetings at our church which is near a chain salon. Almost desperate, I made Dave take me to get my hair cut. As my luck would have it, my stylist was a lady who spoke English with a very, very thick Asian accent. Ahhh. So I tried my best to convey what I wanted and was increasingly frustrated. And, blah blah blah, after I straightened it at home, it wasn't as bad as I thought, but there was this bottom layer that she left too long (it flipped out when she plastered it with water, so neither of us could tell what her cut was doing. And when I said something, she went on about how if I used gel, I could get it flip out like that all the time (uh, yes, thanks)). So the front looked fine (a much needed bang trim) but there was just this uneven, weird chunk in the back. Almost like a mullet. I am sure no one really would have noticed, but I did.

ANYWAY, why am I boring you with this long ol' story? Well two reasons: 1. lesson learned. Not going to get my hair cut without a referral OR unless I find myself at home with my favorite stylist.

Second, the next part of the story was that I didn't want to necessarily pay for another hair cut, but I wanted it fixed.

Enter the thought of mine that I wondered on a scale of 1 to tube city how bad of an idea it would be to have Dave use the hair scissors that came with his hair cutting kit and have us stand in the bathroom, blind leading the blind, trying to even out my hair and trim the bottom layer. Would it work, me looking in a mirror to look in the other mirror at the back of my hair, directing Dave where to cut? As I closed my eyes while he cut what sounded like inches of my hair and he said things like "don't look!" & "this is going to look terrible!" in a bathroom that is 1000 degrees? Would that end terribly? Or would it actually work out fine and be totally worth it?

Well I'm not going to say what actually happened.




But yes, that is exactly what happened.

5 comments:

Shanna Selin said...

The last time I got my hair cut was from a lady at a chain with a thick accent too! And it wasn't what I wanted either. I've decided to just grow my hair out since then since I don't have a stylist I like here.

Jody Lynn said...

i bet you could have walked back into that same salon and had someone fix your hair for free (if you tell them you want it fixed they usually will), but i can see why you wouldn't want to go back there again.

i have major problems with letting anyone other than my stylist touch my hair so i know what you mean!

now all you gotta do is find a not too pricy stylist out there that you like.

good luck!

Sara said...

I'm so sorry about your haircut! I hope you find a good stylist in Portland soon.

This takes a little bit of heat to cook pasta, but is pretty satisfying. The kitchen has some great lists of ideas for cooking and desserts when it's hot out. Stay cool!

Emily said...

ahh the bad haircut blog post. it happens to the best of us. at least it makes for a good post, right? also, I love Mels for her pasta recipes that are summer-friendly. Like confetti rice and fusilli alla caprese.

Kristen said...

Glad you like your job. It is good to get out of the house on a regular basis. I've been putting off getting my hair cut for fear of having your experience....if only we could always have our favorite hair stylist with us no matter our location. Our Best Bites has some yummy cool salads that don't require much stove time.