social commentary


I thought of this post on the way home from work today and actually wrote it up (that doesn't always happen). Of course nothing I say is pointed at any specific person in my audience, so please don't take offense. I also believe that we can still be friends AND think differently. So read, and know that I am not taking any of this so seriously as to be crazy.

first, the facebook timeline.

enough. Stop complaining about it! I mean, seriously, if I had a dollar for every complaint I read about it, I could hire someone to build a new facebook for all the complainers that, let's face it, wouldn't be as popular as the original facebook. Facebook has changed SO many times in the past 6 years that I've been using it and I don't see the point of complaining about it. If you really hate it that much, then stop using it. amiright?

They've been initiating the change for like a year now (or it just seems that I've been reading complaints about it in waves for that long). It's like each new person to hate on it is the first person to have discovered it. Oh, you're being forced to have timeline now? I've had it for 5 months (voluntarily, even?) and I'M STILL ALIVE.

OR, you're complaining about it, really? And you've had this long to prepare? You didn't know, from everyone else's complaints, that you'd eventually have to have it? Are you surprised enough to say something about it, like you're the first person to have noticed?

Also, this may just be me, but how often do you click on someone's profile as opposed to just browsing the news feed? I hardly ever even USE the timeline on someone else's page. I don't really see the problem with it? Except now we get to see two pictures of you instead of one.

Anyway, of course the solution to my problem is just about the same: stop using facebook. But this is just a commentary post, written in a jest-ful tone. Everyone has the right to write whatever status they want, no matter how TMI, journal-y, annoying or gross it may be.

second, using internet quotes as your original thought.

what? I see a quote pinned or an eecard somewhere and then I see someone post that same quote as their facebook/twitter status like they just thought of it. What? I think we all have learned that plagiarism is wrong (and impossible to spell the first time) and you may think "hello, letter of the law" here, but seriously! Most people know you didn't write it, but it still seems like you think you did when you post it with no quotes, the original picture, etc. Which just seems ridiculous to me. What do you want people to say? "wow, you're soooo original or creative!" "wow, how did you finally find words to describe what everyone has thought for years?" "way to find that funny pin and then re-quote it so fast!"

I'm not sure if this falls into the same category as having a tv/movie quote as your status. (which I have done.) I'm kind of thinking out loud here. Perhaps it depends on your intent? Mine is to bond fellow office watchers together, because they get my reference.

And with all creative things, it's hard to say which source is the original source and such...some people may be legitimately saying something they just thought of, but I think you know to what type of quotes I am referring. Ah well. life moves on. thanks for reading!


what is your latest social commentary?

4 comments:

Karen said...

I agree, stop complaining about facebook changing, it's inevitable. There are definitely worse things in life.

Katya said...

Amen on the plagiarized quotes. I don't have any new social commentaries to share except children can be really obnoxious (primary).

cindy said...

This is one of my favorite posts I've read in a while. Thank you for saying everything I feel. :)

Kristen said...

Amen to all the complaints about the new facebook. It's really not that big of a deal. As you said, if you hate it so much, stop using it.