caramel popcorn

My friend Kristen shared this recipe with me last week and it was so good I thought I'd share. Hopefully this will save you some tears with your popcorn endeavors--it was easy! The original recipe included instructions for a crunchier popcorn. Dave and I prefer a softer popcorn, so the second time I made it I omitted some steps. I'll share both.

caramel popcorn

5 qts popped corn (1/2 cup unpopped kernels. I used a bit more the second time so we'd have more to eat)

caramel:
1 cup butter
2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp salt

Melt together over medium heat in large pan (it boils high in the pan). Bring to a boil. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 tsp baking soda (it will bubble up). Pour caramel over popcorn and stir to coat evenly.

note: The second time I made it I boiled it over a lower heat for a minute less to guarantee a softer caramel/popcorn. 

for crunchier popcorn: 

Put popped corn in 250 degree oven while you make caramel. (in a roasting pan or something. I used a pyrex bowl). Return popcorn to oven for 15 minutes then stir. Repeat 2 more times for a total oven time of 45 minutes. I just did this for 15 minutes and called it good. It was delicious. 

However, we found the softer batch to be so perfect that we (including dave's parents/brother) ate so much of it. namely, all of it. 


thanks kristen! we're really loving this recipe.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Yum! This looks delicious!

Kristen said...

I usually prefer crunchy caramel popcorn to gooey, but next time I make it I'll have to leave half of it unbaked and give gooey caramel popcorn another try. I'm so glad the recipe worked for you!

Shanna Selin said...

So after seeing this earlier today, I've been craving it all day so I went to the store tonight and bought some corn syrup and made it and it is delicious! I think next time I'll do 1/4 of the recipe though so I don't get fat.

Emily said...

this is really close, if not the same to my family's pb popcorn recipe. Maybe just add 1/4-1/2 cup pb and see how it goes? or maybe we use pb and not butter? I'll track down and email you the recipe. We like it soft too. Have I ever told you how many times we like/do similar things and it just makes me ridiculously happy that you did the Washington Seminar. Just FYI.

Nathan said...

yum. i want this right now.