constellation project


I finished my constellation project and, thanks to my amateur photography skills (and "basic edit" on picmonkey), you can see! 

As I mentioned before, I was partial to the constellations that were framed in the embroidery frame. I used these as my inspiration.

These are for the nursery. And when I say nursery, I mean wall, and the wall is white. So the white frames weren't my favorite. When I finished the embroidery, Dave stained the hoops a few shades darker and I love how they turned out. 

It was really fun to explore the different constellations and learn their names. There are, obviously, a lot to choose from. I ended up choosing ones that are all in the same area (North American sky) because I figured it would be more fun to learn constellations that I (and baby someday) could actually see in the sky. Maybe I'll add more to the collection someday.

Another thing I learned is that since the constellation illustrations are interpretive, there are often more than one illustration per constellation. This made it even harder to choose an orientation, but it was fun to see the different pictures. The main example was the constellation Hercules. They have an illustration from at least four different perspectives! I ended up using an iPhone app to find the orientation that matched my perspective (ok, I'm weird).

 

Ursa major, Hercules, Draco/Ursa minor, Pegasus and Orion. 

8 comments:

Kami Bratten said...

I love these! Yes, you're still on my Blogroll. Congrats on being preggers. I'm up in Seattle so if you're ever up North, give me a holler!

Shanna Selin said...

Those look really good!

Kara Lyn said...

These are fabulous! What app did you use?

Jody Lynn said...

I love it! They'll look great in the nursery!

Katya said...

They look so good!!!! Ah I love them!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Kristen said...

Very cute! They turned out great!

M said...

What app did you use? I'm doing the same thing for my future nursery.