go bold or go home.

This past weekend Dave and I made a headboard. I've been thinking about it since the summer but we never got around to it. We moved our bed to maximize bedroom space and now it's against the window. It's a little weird but since the window spans the whole wall, it's almost like it's just against another wall. With a window ledge to lean against. So I pushed this project to the front of the line.  

We mostly followed this tutorial. I'm definitely a fan of just following someone else's instructions. Dave did the measurements and building. I picked the fabric, made a billion buttons and helped with the tufting. I didn't do much, really. There were a few headboard tutorials I've seen but I liked this one because it had the side wings. Not as fancy as carved wings, but I still think it looks classy. 

And yes, it's mustard yellow! I was telling Dave that our room has too many blues/greens. I love the colors, but it's very blah because it's all so similar. I was thinking we should get some new sheets or something to liven it up. At the fabric store, I, as a joke, asked Dave if we should do a mustard headboard, while looking through the linen fabric. Then I found a gray that I thought would be good. 

To my surprise, Dave said "sure". He said, "you want color, so do it!" So, I did. I love the color (though it is still taking some getting used to. It's a big piece of furniture we just added!). I think that yellow goes with most colors and if we totally hate it in a few years, it wasn't too expensive to make. 

However, I can't emphasize enough how little Dave cares about things like this. Colors, matching, design/fashion "rules"...he just absolutely could not care less. And I'm lucky to sometimes get an opinion from him about anything. He always looks sharp for work though. He has pretty good taste for not caring that much. 

So hate it, love it, whatever. We got some new color in our room. What do you think? 






15 comments:

Kelsey said...

That is beautiful!

Teri Bench said...

Wow, that looks impressive! Good job!

Shanna Selin said...

I love it! Can you make me one that is exactly the same?

Kristen said...

LOVE IT! It's gorgeous! I've been wanting to make a tufted upholstered headed board forever! You two did such a great job!

Christensens said...

That looks really good. Maybe you guys could make them professionally or something. You know, if you ever want a second job or family business or something.

Katya said...

Ummm, what?! This is taking your amazing craftiness to a whole new level. It looks so great! I LOVE the color!

And don't worry, Aaron has no opinions on home decor whatsoever either, so...

Jody Lynn said...

ooh wow i love it! you guys did a great job! is your bedspread grey? i can't really tell in the picture.

Jason said...

Great job. Looks really nice.

Suzy said...

nice work! And conGRATS on the baby! Hooray!!

Emily said...

Love it. The color, the style, and all that natural light!

Lacey Parr said...

I'm impressed! You have inspired me to make our headboard...one day! haha

Skye said...

This is so cute! I love the yellow!

Taber & Rebecca said...

I LIKE it! I'm a fan of yellows & blues!

Jenna & Joey said...

i am SO in love with that!! I will absolutely be making one in the future!! SO SO SO CUTE!

Jo said...

That is amazing!!! I love it!