let's start with the pies.



We are back from our trip to Utah and we had such a good time. We really enjoyed seeing family and friends and eating so much good food. We had Thanksgiving dinner with my mom's family and then drove up to spend the night at my dad's parent's house. We skipped the black friday shopping (dave and I, much to his delight) but met everyone for lunch. We also had about three more Thanksgiving dinners with the leftovers and, you know, yum. 

My parents asked if I'd make a banana cream pie and I was excited to try this recipe from one of my favorite food bloggers. I made one from crisco last year and it was really good. But...I can't resist Mel's recipes. They are both delicious vanilla custard over bananas so you can't really go wrong. I did love Mel's crust though, a graham cracker/traditional pie crust hybrid. Dave made the crust and we were all super impressed! His first time making a pie crust from scratch was a total success. (I'm jealous)

I'd say it was a hit, but almost no one in my family likes bananas. My dad (the requester of banana cream pie), Dave, my grandpa and I all enjoyed it though. Definitely a recipe to keep! There were plenty of pies to choose from and it was a delicious dinner too. My dad got a new smoker grill and that turkey was excellent. We also had fresh turkey at my grandparent's house and that turkey (seriously, just days old) was sooo good. We also made some orange rolls and I can't believe I haven't shared that recipe yet because they are delicious and anxiously awaited each year :)

I also brought along some treats I grabbed from Trader Joe's (their Christmas treat aisle is too much. can't wait to go back). The peppermint joe-joe's were definitely a hit.

Well anyway, this isn't a food journal so I'll end my talkings about food. We hope you all had a delicious Thanksgiving. Try anything really good you'd like to share?


4 comments:

Emily said...

love the trader joe's picture. i was looking through all their "holidays only" treats and i could seriously buy one box of everything. do you just love their peppermint joe joes? now i know what the hype is all about. we love them. and the dark chocolate covered ones are super good too.

jeez, i could talk about food forever. glad at least the food portion about thanksgiving was a success, if not the whole trip :)

Kristen said...

I'll have to try that banana cream pie some time - it sounds delicious! Also, hurray for Trader Joes! LOVE that store! Glad you had a good trip to UT!

Sara said...

You should post the orange rolls recipe!

Katya said...

Banana cream pie is the best! I would've eaten it. :) You've convinced me that I need to take another trip to Trader Joe's...