speaking of dressing kids...

I've been thinking about this for a while as I've been looking at little boy clothes that I love. I might end up dressing our kid like a hipster/trendster/a grown up? Here's the thing: Dave and I are not hipsters. Dave especially. So why would we dress our kid in clothes that we (especially Dave) wouldn't necessarily wear?

I have no reason except "because it's cute". I am not the biggest fan of traditional baby clothes with cheesy sayings ("daddy's little man") and cartoon pictures and such. I like simple (like stripes) and good colors. So...enter in clothes that make you look like you're dressing your kid like a grown hipster or something. I've read some funny things around the web making fun of parents who do that (or you know, honest toddler on twitter). And while I see why it's funny, I just think the clothes are so cute that I just want to do it anyway, just not go overboard. Plus the kid will live in portland, so it won't be like he's totally out of place....

1, 2, 3 (h&m, no longer available), 4, 5

And isn't that part of the fun of having a baby? You get to dress them for a few years? Why not pick clothes you like? (or, if we were having a girl, all the clothes I wish I had??) Even though Dave would never wear colored jeans...I still love these little mustard jeans on one of our favorite babies, Noah (and, hello, how gorgeous is Amy??). So I don't try to dress Dave but...hopefully we can come to agreement on dressing our baby. I mean, basically, I would pick clothes that I would wear (that sounds weird, since I'm not a boy) or that I would like to see on Dave, even if he wouldn't wear it. Ha. What's wrong with a classy-dressed baby? 

Oh well. Last month I accidentally bought us matching clothes. I wouldn't have us wear matching clothes on purpose, but I can't guarantee that wouldn't happen. 


what are your thoughts on dressing babies? is there a difference in dressing kids and adults? 

and how cute is this romper? and where did the word "romper" come from??

p.s. don't think our baby still won't be wearing things like this

11 comments:

Shanna Selin said...

I love this post. I tried to dress Calvin like a little adult (with a few exceptions) but with this girl, most of the stuff she'll be wearing is not something I would wear. But is is adorable though. So different rules for different genders?

And Amen to no "Daddy's little man" clothes.

Aimee & Colby said...

DON'T DO IT!!!!!! The second you put him in skinny jeans or put his hair in a faux hawk you have crossed the line. That's not ok. I make fun of those kids. No man should ever wear anything like that so don't do it to your baby. That's just how I feel. :)

Sara said...

I love "adult" looking clothes on kids! I especially love the crew cuts lines. Not that I would ever spend that much money on clothes that last for only a few weeks or months, but they're so cute!

kt said...

ahhh I am so torn on this topic - good thing I have time :)

I think so many different baby clothes are cute, but I would like the baby to be dressed in a more classic fashion. I like the solid colors, stripes, plaids for boys. I think it's a good way to go!

That being said, it's okay to give him some fun jammies, right???

love all the stuff you picked out. Also remember that how you dress baby boy has nothing to do with how Dave dresses! That is, I'm assuming Dave doesn't wear puppy onesies :)

Kristen said...

Love those clothes from H&M - wish I could justify spending lots of $$ on clothes for William! I like it when babies/kids clothes are simple, classic and sweet. No words or cutesy sayings. But also not too trendy. You're right, getting to dress someone is part of the fun of having a baby!

Jody Lynn said...

i love the hipster look. i would totally dress my kids in clothes i wish i could wear/want to wear if i had any kids of my own. :)

Emily said...

LOVE h&m. and zara too. Kaylea is pretty anti onesies, but I love them. There's something about Henry looking like a baby that I just love. Once you get to 12 mos or so you really can only dress them like a grown-up, but I wish Hen could wear a striped onesie and cute Gap soft sweat-pant-like pants forever.

That being said, girl stuff and boy stuff is totally different to me, and, for the most part, cute boy stuff is automatically more grown-up-y (yup, it's a word...) because you have to eliminate about 85% of the world's boy clothes since they have skull/cross or electric guitars on them.

At the same time (oh, I should have been done with my comment with that last paragraph? one more thing...), even Henry has some clothes given to him that aren't necessarily what I would have picked out for him (that have polar bears or something else on them) that I think are really cute. Also, I he has some monster jammies that I love. And, especially while he's little, I dig anything with an animal face on his behind. I just can't get enough.

Jenna & Joey said...

I love those kind of clothes 5or babies for thr exact reasons as you....i LOATHE cartoony, cliche, "my little sport" type clothes!

Kiana McAllister said...

I love dressing our little boy in adult looking clothes! I think that's totally normal. However, kids are dirty all of the time and i found that it was just easier to stick him in the cheesy onsies because he would just poop in them or spit up on them or get dirt all over them. So while we are home I put him in the cheesy stuff but when we have places to be and people to see I like to dress him nice :)

Aly said...

i recently discovered that many of the carter's 'daddy's litte__" can easily be seam ripped off! and i've started doing it! obviously not the completely sewn words but the little patches. makes clothes so much better! and we do have some simple striped and waffle knit onesies from carters that i do love. i don't like spending more than $4-5 on one item so we buy things on sale, and it's pretty much only carter's (some target and walmart) that are that cheap.

lindsay said...

AGREED! I hate the clothes that say things! "Future MVP" ? come on. I am all for the animals on the butt though!