the things of november.

I was preregistering for the hospital last week and I used their little month calendar to find my due date, I only had to go through two months to get there. Granted, I'm due at the end of January, but still...only two full months left! Ideally. Two more months and the year will be over while we're at it, which, thank goodness. While a few good things have happened over the last two years, they just have not been my favorite and I'm ready for 2013.

October was great for a lot of reasons, but one of my favorites is during the first week, my good friend Heather was up (or down?) from another part of Oregon for the afternoon for her internship. We live in a pretty convenient part of town and she came over and we walked down to a thai place a few blocks away (celebrating that my activity ban had been lifted) and had lunch. And oh, man, was it good to see her! We had such a good time talking and eating delicious food and I am so glad she took some time to have lunch with me. I realized after the fact that besides family (which of course are my friends...), hers was the first truly friendly face I had seen since April. Don't get me wrong, people in our ward are friendly and nice and whatever, but goodness. I miss my friends! The ones with history and memories and people who know me...I don't know why it seems to be so much harder to make friends when you get older, or if it's just me (or the fact that I haven't been to relief society for 2 months because of the whole bed rest thing (though the four months before that didn't do much)) or what. And it's not that bad because Dave is fun to be around (good thing, eh?) and I'm glad that his awesome family lives close. But these past few months would have been so much nicer with some friendly faces. So, friendly faces, when will you be moving to portland?

We are going to Utah over Thanksgiving (save any unexpected complications) and I can't wait! I feel like it will sustain another 6 months of no friends. haha, joking. Though I'm excited to have a baby because, while at first they are you know, pretty selfish as far as friends go, baby will be a constant friend. Hmm, I wonder if that sounds more or less pathetic than the previous paragraph...

Anyway, I miss writing essay-style blog posts but these days I feel like I only have one subject to write on and I feel that it would get old fast. I do have some thoughts on pregnancy and such, but part of me feels like what I could say would just be another cliche, trite post that you could read on any other pregnant person's blog, and I don't want to come off that way. But I haven't posted that much about things lately, so here's a little bit on what is going on these days and I hope it isn't too cliche/trite for you:

I'm almost 29 weeks which is so exciting. Every week is a little victory for us. Last week I had what is hopefully (and I say hopefully because while we love ultrasounds, they wouldn't do another one unless it was because I had worrisome symptoms, which we hope to avoid) my last ultrasound. It's a little sad, because we've definitely gotten used to seeing our baby every 1-2 weeks for the last...3.5 months. It's been so nice to have that reassurance. Though our bank account will probably be glad we are done with that part of my medical care! We will miss it though, and our growing collection of random body part pictures. As he gets bigger/more stubborn, they can't always get a good picture but they try to find something...last week we got a picture of his quite impressive bicep. The tech tried to get him to change positions and he started kicking her and it was pretty funny. Once week we saw him yawn which was really cute. But the data collected from the ultrasounds have been mostly positive. Even when there are changes, they haven't been enough to worry the doctors about, so, we just try to ignore it.

We feel like we've been waiting 10 years to get out of the 20s. And we're almost there! We know that life brings its own set of risks and complications, but man. We really hate that unless someone has an ultrasound wand on my stomach it's hard to know that things are really okay. And we just like to know. We're just dying for him to be here, full-term, already. And what expecting parents aren't, we know. But really.

And I mean, besides the whole risk of pre-term labor thing and the often constant worry about the state of things, things are great! (haha) I've had a great pregnancy otherwise. If you pick up any book on pregnancy, you'll read how there are like 1559 new symptoms each month that could happen to any given pregnant lady and it just gets ridiculous. Lucky for me, I've avoided most of them so far. There are a few things that are different but meh, I just don't care.

I feel like I'm in a weird place. After 20 weeks, I felt like this was my first pregnancy, but before that it was my second. Medically speaking of course, it's my second but everything past 20 weeks is new to me (save the end of pregnancy, I totally know what happens there) and I know it sounds silly, but I welcome this half with welcome arms. It's also weird because I feel like it's deja vu a little bit. I'm way further along than last year, but the time I remember most about last pregnancy was oct-dec. So it's like the same but very different, and a little sad.

I loved October because it was when I went from "that is probably a baby bump with the right shirt" to a real little bump. Even some weird group of kids at target pointed not as conspicuously as they though and whispered, not as quiet as they thought, "awe, she's pregnant! she's gonna have a baby"...which we just smirked at and hoped they weren't on anything because they were probably like 15. BUT anyway.

We've also loved how October was full of increasing amounts of baby kicks and movements. It's our favorite part. In the last two or three weeks we love to feel a joint (never can tell what body part it actually is) and follow him as he moves it around. He never leaves it against me for very long. He doesn't like to share his (my) space OR he gets freaked about by these weird people always trying to touch him. ha.

I get up to go the bathroom once or three times a night and baby is quiet. I get back into bed and it's always like 3...2...1...baby dance party! No matter the time, I love it and can't not stay awake for it (and sometimes you just can't sleep with that going on). It's something we've looked forward to for a long time and an experience we cherish (can't think of a less cheesy word??)

So there you go. 11 weeks and 3 days left! And we honestly hope he takes every single one of them. (we just also wish that time would speed up while he's at it). Thanks for all the support and love over the last few months (and year). thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Morgan and Holly said...

1) You are getting so close!! I mean, you're already pre-registering at the hospital and everything. 2) Okay, isn't it so funny that babies (who can't see...well not really) tend to be more active at night?! I think it is. 3) Morgan & I even switched sides of the bed because I was peeing so much and his side was closer to the bathroom. haha TMI?? Who cares. I pretty much loved you're little story about that because I can totally relate.

I can't wait to see you and your bump at Thanksgiving!! I'm even more excited for January to roll around and to see pics of your little guy!

Shanna Selin said...

I've found it is easier to make friends once you are a mom since you have kids as an easy excuse to get to know people (especially other moms). So maybe that will help?

Kristen said...

Your pregnancy updates made me smile! Not cliche or trite at all. So very happy for you! :-)

Jenna & Joey said...

all i could think about was "i want to have 100 kids so that I will have 100 friends." but really, he will be your best friend :)

Katya said...

You are the least trite blogger I know! I loved reading your updates. Don't worry, I seem to be incapable of making friends post college, so I feel your pain. We should have another chat sometime. :)