a little too pink, perhaps.

We had some friends come over for dinner this week and I knew it was the perfect opportunity to try out the last recipe in the our best bites calendar: a chocolate peppermint mousse cake.

I used this cake recipe (it really is the best) and filled it with a delicious peppermint mousse (though note to self: don't use frozen cream because the texture is weird) and topped it with a dark chocolate ganache and peppermint bark pieces. It was pretty good.

I made 6" cakes (since there were only four of us), so I got four out of the recipe. I saved two and make a cake for the freezer--for an unknown but impending birthday. You'll just have to stay tuned to see it.

Yes, I made a cake for a new baby's birthday. I think it's kind of a cute little tradition (you know, like birthdays?) to start. Or weird? I don't know. More cake for me.

I don't know if it's because they were smaller, but I didn't have any cake mishaps I normally do (sinking, way too round, bottom sticking to the pan, etcetera). A Christmas miracle!

Now, go make some chocolate cake!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Yummy looking cake :)

Emily said...

That's cute to make one for your baby once he's born. And good thing you made it ahead, goodness knows most of my baking went out the window for a bit after Henry was born. And way to go for starting a tradition right off the bat!

Also, that cake looks divine.