orange rolls

Here they are! A yummy tradition in Dave's family and now mine (where they are a sought-after novelty).

This recipe requires some advance planning, as they take about a day to make. However, I imagine you could get away with less than a day if you really wanted. The fridge time makes them a dream to roll out. I want to try making these more like cinnamon rolls sometime by adding a glaze (maybe with a tsp or two of orange juice?). Because who doesn't like things drizzled in glaze? 

 

Orange rolls 
makes approximately 36 rolls

2 packages yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
1/4 cup warm water

Combine and let yeast soften for 10 minutes. 

1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup warm water

Mix together in a sauce pan and heat until the shortening melts or slightly before. 

3 eggs, beaten
yeast mixture
shortening mixture
4 1/2 cups flour

Combine together to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Cover and let raise double. Knock dough down, cover, and put in fridge overnight. (This is where you could try a few hours instead.)

1 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted
zest from two oranges

Mix together. 

Roll out half the dough into a rectangle and spread with half of the filling. Roll up like a log and cut into one-inch sections. Place in muffin tins. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let raise double. 

Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Remove from tins immediately. 


if you try them, let me know how you like them!  

4 comments:

Morgan and Holly said...

Sounds yummy! I can't wait to try them. I like orange rolls better than cinnamon rolls!

Kristy said...

check bruce's photos from Christmas or Thanksgiving at home. Or I might have a wedding photo one. I'll see if my computer works and send it to you.

Kristen said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I tried an orange roll recipe from Mels Kitchen Cafe a long time ago and they were amazing so I'm excited to try these!

Sara said...

Looks yummy!