ten days

So we've been doing this parenting thing for a week and a half now and I think we are getting the hang of it. Sam is a pretty calm baby and newborns sleep a lot, so for now, we're feeling pretty good about things. We are tired of course, but I think the whole sleep deprivation thing is not quite as bad as we feared or as everyone says. Again, we're only 10 days in so I'm not saying things will always be this way. One thing to realize is things are constantly changing with babies. I mean, their sleeping and eating and behavior habits are always changing, so we know that we can't count on things staying like this. But this past week has been so great. We love cuddling with Sam and having him sleep on our chest and if you came over all you'd hear was us talking to each other about how cute he is and "oh my gosh, look at his face!" He has the cuuutest faces.

Sometimes being a parent is overwhelming. (you guys, post-partum hormones are craaaazy.) I remember the first night we were home and Dave went to bed and I was feeding Sam in the living room and it was about 10:30 or 11 and I was just thinking "wow, I'm never going to sleep again." One thing we've learned is that once the day comes, time isn't as endless as the nights seem. You just gotta get though 12-7am. Then the sun helps you feel more awake and you get to start over a little bit.

Dave has been slowly transitioning back to work this week and Sam and I are surviving at home. He sleeps for most of it anyway. I would always rather Dave be home and sometimes it scares me to death to think I have to be responsible for the health and happiness of this baby during the day...but...I think we'll be okay.

Just don't ask me about it during the evening, when I'm likely to cry over just about anything. (seriously, craaaaazy hormones). I don't intend to do it most of the time and Dave is torn between comfort and laughing because well, I seem a little crazy. Ah well.

And we do look forward to when he gets bigger and can interact more with us but, oh, I kind of wish he'd stay a week old forever. I love love love week old Sam.


8 comments:

Morgan and Holly said...

I love love love that little face he is making!!! It looks like he is just telling his mama all about it! haha. I'm already stressed about the fact that I will never sleep again. Thanks for confirming my fears ;)

Kristen said...

Best picture ever. I do hate how babies are constantly changing. Just when you get used to one phase its over and another is already starting. Soak up those newborn moments, soon you'll have an almost 8 month old and wonder where your baby went! Wish I could hop on a plane and come visit you and meet Sam!

Jody Lynn said...

i'm really loving these posts about your adventures with new baby sam! it's so interesting to hear your take on everything. :)

Sara said...

You're so right about his face! Good luck with everything!

Kiana McAllister said...

He's definitely a keep :) you guys made a cute one!

Amy Freeman said...

you are already ahead of the game, my dear. I wish I had that positivity that you do! the 12-7 thing is SOO true!

Christensens said...

Great picture!

Teri Bench said...

Wait till your mom gets there....you can sleep all you want! I am salivating at the thought of taking care of that adorable bundle! Can't wait!!