lest you get the wrong idea...

I'm not saying that we have everything together. Sometimes I spend half and hour or more trying to get him back to sleep during a nap. He doesn't always transition between sleep phases very well (and "the pause" doesn't always fix it). So sometimes I give up. He spits up on everything and when you can't imagine where he is getting anything else to spit up. He also loves his pacifier and sometimes he wants it so bad but can't keep it in his mouth for longer than 10 seconds. We are thiiiiis close to taping it to his face sometimes. Instead, sometimes we hold it in place with a blanket (with supervision) until he falls asleep.

He can go 6+ hours without eating but sometimes he'll go 3 hours and 5 minutes and he cries like he IS STARVING TO DEATH. It's like dude, keep it together. He doesn't always like being swaddled but still wakes himself up flailing his arms. Or his pacifier will fall out and he'll wake up. You know he's asleep for good when it falls out and it doesn't bug him. And sometimes he's fine until I step into the shower and starts crying. These are the things we laugh about and know they won't last forever. 

I read a facebook status of a friend whose baby slept for 5-6 hours for the first time and they were all worried about him. I did that when he was a newborn and went 3.5 hours in between eating one night. The first time he slept 6+ hours I didn't even notice until he woke up because I was sleeping very soundly. It was the first time I got more than 3 hours of sleep in a row in months...

And he has had these runs of days where he'll eat at 8:30 and sleep until 5. I try not to get my hopes up about those because they don't last longer than 4 nights, and then it's back to 2 times a night. And twice isn't even that bad, but after once or not at all, it seems that way. Sometimes we can get another hour by putting a pacifier in his mouth (if that works we know he wasn't really that hungry. If he keeps crying I feed him, of course). We don't have any expectations that he should sleep through the night yet, but we are getting to the point where we may just let him figure out he isn't going to starve and he can self-soothe. But, you know, I'll wait until next week, when he's at least 3 months and out of the "fourth trimester" because that is when they (you know, "they") say babies are finally adjusted to life? We'll see. Maybe we'll attempt routines and set wake up and bed time around then. But I've kind of liked the attitude of having a newborn: you feed them when they are hungry and they mostly sleep anywhere and you can't really mess them up. As long as he slept for longer periods at nights, I felt that was a success.

Ah well. any tips?


7 comments:

Shanna Selin said...

8:30 to 5? That's amazing! How do you do that though? Daisy went 6 hours last night and I thought I would explode! In fact, that's why Calvin didn't sleep 12 hours until 9 months- I was too uncomfortable. Do other people not have this problem?

Danielle said...

When Liana was Sam's age we started making sure we were putting her down awake. I think that has saved us so much grief. I have a friend who still nurses her 19 month old to sleep---yikes!
Overall, I have really liked this blog: http://www.troublesometots.com/

Connie said...

Sounds to me like you are doing things perfectly. You'd think that by number 7 one would have things figured out. But each kid is different and there are easy and not so easy times. Keep up the good work! He is so lucky to have you for a mom.

Aly said...

i have liked the book healthy sleep habits happy child. my only other tip would be to not sweat it. we didn't sleep train until 7 months but our 13 month old still wakes up once to nurse at 4am. it doesn't bother me so i haven't tried to change it. some women nurse their 2.5 year olds to sleep. so yeah, i wouldn't sweat it.

Morgan and Holly said...

No tips from me but I have to say 1) In regards to your previous post, So glad that you didn't have this dramatic defining moment. I didn't have that feeling either. It felt very natural and peaceful and I feel like my love and attachment has grown..not just large and established from the beginning. Hope that makes sense and 2) I laughed out loud about the whole "he can go 6+ hours.." thing because Capri is the same way. She can sleep all night sometimes. And then other times it's been like 2 hours and she's acting like she may just die and when she finally latches she eats like it's her first meal in forevvverrr. So, that cracked me up because I can totally relate to that one. Okay, longest comment ever. I'm over and out.

Amy and Mark said...

nope, no tips! You are doing wonderfully. Sam is one lucky fella! The first year for me is all a blur now haha!

Cindy Badger said...

Ditto, you are doing great :)