the thoughts of august.

I've noticed lately how short hair really gets a bad rap. Every one acts like wanting to cut their hair short is like being tempted to participate in oceans-eleven-style thievery. I mean, I could be biased since I think for the better part of the last six years, I've had short hair, but sheesh! I love short hair! It takes 5 minutes to do and is really fun. Does anyone just enjoy short hair? Or is it immediately "now I'm growing it out". Also, why is long hair such a thing?  More so than short or medium hair?

I know these thoughts are really something.

I also realize that yes, it takes 30 seconds to have short hair and 30 million months to grow it back, but it does grow back. I have currently been "growing my hair out" since last november, and I've painstakingly managed to get four inches out of my hair. (not that I've been doing anything besides willing it to grow faster?) I'm pretty close to the length I want it...and wouldn't you know, I kind of want to cut it. I mean, there is all this hair in my way and on my neck. ! But, I'm hoping that once my hair reaches the length I want, it will be magical. My hair loves to flip out as it grows along my neck, which has been the trial of the last 6 months (joke). But really. I'm torn on what to do as fall/winter approaches with its rain and humidity.

And also, the length I have wanted my hair to be for months is now the "it' hair cut, so of course by the time I actually get there, it will be smack-dab in the middle of trendy. I suppose that is the story of my life. Ah well.

In other news, I've hit this sort of "fall cleaning" thing this week, where I've been cleaning and organizing and actually finishing things on my list that have been there for months. Hello, pile of papers waiting to be scanned SINCE JANUARY. And now there are two empty shelves in our apartment, which some of you small-space dwellers may know how awesome that is.

And we are going camping tonight and hopefully it will go well. We haven't gone camping for years, and the last time we went, I had the worst (and only?) migraine of my life and threw up during breakfast (but you know, as far off as I was able to go) with our new ward. So, yeah. I feel it can only go up from there.

Camping is something Dave really enjoys but unfortunately for him, we've only been once since we got married. It's like one of those things that I want to enjoy with him since he likes it so much, but..that may take some work. My family went camping a lot when I was younger (although the later years were in a tent trailer), but it just isn't my favorite. I like being in nature and all of that, but ugh. I really, really, really hate bugs. But we are talking about going backpacking next summer and I almost want to do it just to prove I can. Because I probably can. And I love to defy expectations. ha.

Dave would love to go but he remains mostly convinced that "I think that is something you think you want to do, but wouldn't really like it and wouldn't want to do it'. AKA I would complain the whole time. Which is probably a fair prediction, as I am kind of a wimp. But I love a challenge and I would love to prove him wrong. (in a good way).

Don't ask me how we got from short hair to camping, but there you go. I feel like it's been awhile since I wrote about anything but trip summaries (not that this is golden writing, by any means), but perhaps some of you can share your thoughts on hair, extra shelves or backpacking.

12 comments:

Megan said...

I want to cut my hair short again too! Okay, it still is short, but I want to cut it the super short length again. When I had long hair I hated how it always got in the way, and now I am realizing again how much it does get in the way (since it is getting long enough to) and am wondering why the heck I want to grow it out. Okay, the only reason I want to grow it out is so I can do all those cute braids. Anyways, I'm debating whether or not I cut it short again...

Megan said...

Also, all I do with my hair now it pull it up so it isn't on my neck. So, it makes so much more sense to have short hair so it at least looks good when it's not on your neck

Shanna Selin said...

Ugh.. I just tried to leave a comment but feedly failed me and it all disappeared.

Anyway, I've been growing my hair out for 18 months or something and all I have to show for it is 4 or 5 inches. You are lucky!

And I want to cut my hair too because postpartum hair loss is just annoying. But I know I'll regret it in the winter when I need it to keep my neck warm.

I feel the same way about camping. It is one of those things that I look back on fondly, but I don't enjoy it all that much while I am doing it. I mean, why sleep on the ground when I have a perfectly good bed in a climate controlled, bug-free house with a flushing toilet 15 feet away from me? But nature is nice too I suppose.

Jody Lynn said...

In my case, short hair actually takes longer to do. I think it's just my hair type or something. But long hair takes me like 7 minutes, short hair it took me over 30.

And camping: my problem with it is I can't shower. And I just love being clean. So that's harder for me than the bugs. Those I can deal with.

Jo said...

Haha I love this. And YES to the short hair - I have been asked so many times "Have you always had short hair?" and "Do you ever think of growing it out?" like having short hair is going against the mold or something?? Let me live my short hair life people!

Emily said...

Love your thoughts. I need to write a post like this soon. I *think* I'm going to cut my hair this winter, but yeah, probably like Taza? And then I just feel lame and totally unoriginal. The thing is, I want to cut it so Hank isn't always pulling at it and bfeeding will be less of a hassle, but I hate when my hair flips out, so I want it short, but not flippy...so medium it is :) My deep thoughts for the day, haha.

Amy and Mark said...

Don't get me started on the hair topic! haha I'm sure my late Instagram posts triggered some of those hair thoughts that you have. It's true! WHY does short hair have that bad rap??? I get people saying, "I have to get extensions for my hair to look like YOURS...DON'T EVER CUT IT" and I'm over here like ..."ummm...I'm BAKING in the heat, I only wash it TWICE a week because it takes too much time, and it gives me headaches. WHY AM I TORTURING MYSELF?!" ....I'm scheduling a haircut next week. :)

Jess said...

Ha, I feel the same way about short hair! When I went way way short last summer I almost felt guilty, or like I had to justify it to everyone. I am growing it out now mainly because I don't want to have a "mom haircut" starting now (but really, is that worse than a ponytail everyday...?) and because I don't want to pay for haircuts every few months, but I have been really feeling like chopping it again. I like how you said you are, "hoping... it will be magical." That is what hope too, I just don't know if I can get it there to even see :) Also, empty shelves are amazing.

Alena said...

I totally feel you on the camping thing! My family maybe went camping 5 times while I lived at home and, while I also love the 'being in nature' thing (I actually really, really love it), it's all the particulars of going camping that aren't so great--babies, bugs, exponential increase in dirt with babies, preparation (which falls to me mostly), etc. I completely sound like a complainer but I don't feel like I am one ;) haha. Anyway, Sean became scout master at the beginning of the year and has been into hyper-want-to-go-camping mode to check out places for scouts and, (shhhh) thankfully, I've been hugely pregnant or with newborn which makes it such that I gotten a bit of a pass. But no longer.... Haha so we will see! All this to say--I feel you. AND I feel you on the challenge thing even more--not in a bad way, like you said, but more in a I-know-you-really-enjoy-this-so-I-will-make-it-work kind of way! Alright, that's the longest comment I've written in forever but you totally struck a chord in me! :)

Also, I love your hair!

Lyss said...

I love short hair! I grew it out on my mission and it was to my waist and that was just so hard to manage all the time. I think the only thing I really miss about my long hair is I wouldn't have to always do it all the time and it would still look good, whereas (at least for me) I actually have to do my short hair or else I look like a homeless person. :) But short/medium length hair is so great!

Katya said...

So true about hair! Ha. I've been thinking about cutting mine fairly short, but the thing that stops me is I know how to do my hair at its current length, and I can pull it up into a bun or braid it really easily when I don't feel like "doing" my hair. If I cut it short, then I have to figure something else out. Granted, I'm sure blowdrying it and straightening it will take significantly less time, but I'm still hesitant. But with all the bloggers going for the clavicuts lately...I'm tempted. #mindlesstrendfollower

Also, totally agree on camping. BUGS. UGH. Can't handle them. I like camping for one day but any longer than that I am not a fan.

Morgan and Holly said...

I'm not much help on the short hair thing. The last time I had short hair was in the 8th grade and that was to the top of my shoulders. Probably the last time I had truly short hair was when I was four years old and chopped it while my mom was napping. Yeah. I've always had long boring hair. haha. I feel like long hair is just me. And you are one of the few people that can really pull of short hair! Pixies aren't typically my favorite on girls, though, I must admit. Although, I've seen a few (okay two people) who I thought it looked good on. Wow....long comment about hair and I really wanted to comment about camping.

Camping is fun except for the bathroom. That is why I like one night camping trips so that I don't have to go too much in the woods or outhouses. And I loved Sam's little hat in the camping pics. Did you knit/crochet it??