sam's quilt



On New Year's Even I finally, finally, finished Sam's quilt. I was not leaving 2013 without finishing it. The night before we left for Utah, I cut, ironed and sewed the first side of binding. And then, after my grandma showed me how, I spent spare minutes and hours (i.e. the wee hours of the morning) working on that hand stitching. I could have done it on the machine, but hand stitching is more portable. And you know, experience.

My grandma said it takes her about 2 hours to do the binding on a baby quilt. I hope someday to be as talented as her, because it took about 2 hours per side. But I finished! And I love how it turned out. 

I simultaneously want to make all the quilts and then never make another one. But I am loving modern quilts with Swiss crosses, stripes, triangles and chevrons. (You can see the quilts I've been eying here) I think I will try to get another quilt done this year.

FYI: I used this pattern. I think I printed out the triangle the wrong size (too big) because I ended up unpicking one row of triangles so it could fit on the backing. Oh well! I accidentally bought enough fabric to make almost 3 quilts (it says 1/2 a yard, but I read them all as 1 1/2. oops!

6 comments:

Sara said...

That's gorgeous! I absolutely love it!

K Puls said...

It looks sooo good! I am so impressed with how it turned out!

Jenna & Joey said...

LOVE it!!!

lindsay said...

That is one of the cutest quilts I have ever seen. Great job!!!

Suzette Larson said...

Amanda, I absolutely love the colors and I'm impressed that you went for it and did it by hand. I use a sewing machine as a crutch. Also, love your blog!

Kristen said...

So cute! I love modern quilts!