baby standard time

I think I may have discovered a way to cure my terrible always-running-late habit. We seem to be always running late, sorry everyone. And I'm sure if you get down to it, it's all my fault. Anyways, having to get another person out the door now who can do nothing by himself except walk (and that is a huuuuge help) out of it, hasn't helped.

I always feel bad because I know lateness is rude and inconsiderate and I don't think my time is more valuable than anyone else's...I just...don't have enough of it! Ha!

The other day Sam had a doctor's appointment and they have you check in 15 minutes before your actual appointment. We are always on time to the actual appointment but usually late to the check in. I decided to bike to the appointment and park at Dave's work since it's two blocks away. I started preparing to leave 45 minutes before we needed to check in (it's a 15 minute ride) and yeah, yeah, by the time I got through the beginning lights and everything, I had 10 minutes to bike to Dave's work so I could have time to walk to the office and make it on time.

I mean, we can't be late again. They probably have a note on our file. So I biked a fast as I could and I totally made it to Dave's work by my goal time and we were within a minute or two of our appointment time. It didn't help that I went to the wrong floor (how many times have I been there?) and I ended up waiting for the receptionist anyways. And then I was embarrassingly sweaty and red-faced during the whole appointment.

I think the cure was having to physically make up the time. I had to bike a 15 minute ride in 10 minutes, which doesn't sound that bad but mind you I was also pulling about 30 pounds behind me. And I think it exhausted the lateness right out of me.

Saturday I had an eye appointment downtown and I left 45 minutes early (nice bonus was I was going by myself, so I only had to get myself out the door). I took the street car and walked some and was fifteen minutes early. Unheard of! I then had to wait 15 minutes past my appointment time. Karma? Sunday: 10 minutes early to church. So far, I'm nailing this on time thing. We'll see how it goes in a few days.

My point is if you are also struggling with being on time, maybe make yourself have to get yourself there via your own two legs. Either the physical exertion or the consequences of that exertion (red face, sweaty) may motivate you to not be late again. And seriously, get moving out the door like an hour and a half before...when will I figure that out??

1 comment:

lindsay said...

I am late to everything too!!!!!