sam's a real portland kid now

A few weeks ago we bought a bike trailer (and then carried it home in the stroller via the farmer's market and the street car...poor planning on our part) and over Memorial Day weekend we finally took it out for a spin.

Before that, however, we had to find a helmet for Sam. All the times we tried on helmets went very poorly. Last summer Sam happily wore hats and sunglasses but this summer, he is refusing to wear anything on his head. But I found one small enough and we let him play with it for days before we had him wear it. He discovered his love for buckles, and play with them anywhere he can find them.

>>Last week, we were at Ikea and for 20 minutes Sam sat buckling the child seat buckle and when he'd clip it together he'd look at me with a big grin on his face and say "I did it!" (I think he is just copying specific phrase inflection: eye-DIH-ih...but seriously, so cute).

On Memorial Day we biked to Sauvie Island to pick berries. It ended up being a 24 mile round trip (!!) and I have no idea why I thought that would be a good ride after our Saturday 4-miler. (so my first and second real bike ride in over a year) 

But slowly (so slowly) and surely, I made the return trip. I just think our bodies are amazing; I was dead tired, but somehow my legs just kept going. Sam did really well for such a long trip, only crying for a few miles on the way home. I felt the same way, but what choice did we have? We had to keep going! Next time we'll plan a little better as far as bringing enough snacks to fuel us (me) for the ride home. 

We also picked a pound or two of strawberries and ate them all night long. (fresh picked strawberries = the best) We had some friends over for dinner and games (made these burgers) later in the day. A great weekend!

Sorry Sam.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

24 miles! That is seriously impressive. Sounds like a fun (and exhausting) Memorial Day!