a new year

I always wonder at the start of each year how long it will take before writing that new year will seem normal. At some point, usually, it feels like it's always been 2014 or 2013 and any year before that just seems old. And already I think that 2015 feels just right, but I guess we'll see once I start writing checks. Or typing the year, let's be real.

This year was so great. I think it's the fastest year I've ever experienced. Sam learned to walk, talk, run and climb. I biked up some hard hills and set some personal biking PRs for distance (so did Dave, I am sure). Dave turned 30! We went to concerts, picked a million berries, saw cute newphews and nieces, saw dear friends I haven't seen for years, and I sewed a lot of things. We had so many fun play dates with our friends and family.

To round it out a bit, Sam lost 3 credit cards IN OUR APARTMENT and we still haven't found them (the biggest mystery of my life). We had a record number of car repairs, with 2 broken windows and a mysterious muffler/exhaust problem. Sam had his first visit to the ER (which, if you remember, was totally not needed in the end). We had missed flights and many falls/smashes/bumps along the year (most Sam).

Our new year's eve was fairy low-key. We had some friends over for a tradional fondue, and this year we tried this cheese fondue. It was a hit, as I was fairly certain it would be; past cheese fondues have been mediocre at best, but guys, this is Mel we're talking about here. We watched the ball drop at 9:00 PM PST, watched the netflix children's countdown and then watched Despicable Me 2 after putting Sam to bed. We were all about to fall asleep around 11 when the movie ended, but I think we were still puttering around before bed when it was offically midnight on this coast and we could hear fireworks.

Then we slept in, ate waffles and did what seems to be quite the tradition around these parts: go to ikea and buy all the things to organize. We walked out with a few new things to help organize around these parts. Plus, Ikea now has cookies and cream frozen yogurt.

And the best part of the day was that our sister-in-law had their new baby girl today. An early (and as far as we know, healthy) surprise! And I thought we were doing pretty good by putting three ikea things together in one day! (no swearing or fighting, even.)

__


I haven't written up an official list of new year's goals and resolutions, but I've been thinking about them. My list will probably include sewing new and harder things, more playing with Sam, having less screen time, reading more scriptures, being more decisive, getting back into an exercise habit that is more than just walking somewhere, reading more classics (especially ones that I probably should have read by now), buying less things and putting things away where they go the first time. I hope we can visit the East coast again and see new parts of Oregon.

I'm really movitated by the Mangum's 101 goals in 1001 days, and totally going to start working on a list like this. (Although, you guys, you forgot to add visit Portland.)

I think the year will also include finishing up the 4 almost empty bottles of face soap/lotion that I haven't finished yet because I moved onto something else. Perhaps this is the year I find a keeper.

Here's your standard photo review, a highlight from each month and then a few family pictures I don't think I ever shared. Happy 2015! Do something awesome!




6 comments:

Shanna Selin said...

We tried chees fondue this year too and it turned out embarrassingly terrible! I'll have to try her recipe next time!

kyliebrooke|s said...

all those pictures are so good! your family should just start becoming models. happy 2015!!!

K Puls said...

Sounds like 2014 was good to you guys! Less screen time, more scripture reading, and actually exercising all sound like things I really ought to consider doing too. Annnnd, you should definitely visit the East Coast. Our guest bedroom has your name written all over it!

Emily said...

It was my "go on a vacation by myself" goal. Portland is most definitely that vacation. Because 2015 will be the year.

Laura C said...

I love the goal of reading more classics. I was in sort of a classic children's lit phase this year and read the first two Anne of Green Gables books and (reread) Little Women. Quick reads but still with real substance.

Happy New Year!

Kelli Gilbert said...

so many exciting things in this post! and the lost credit cards--totally sounds like my husband! haha!